- 1 How to Get a Police Accident Report on Long Island
- 1.1 What a Police Accident Report MV-104A looks like
- 1.2 How to Read a Police Accident Report
- 1.3 What’s the difference between a police report and a certified police report?
- 1.4 How to Download a Certified Police Accident Report From NYS DMV
- 1.5 How to Get Older Police Accident Reports
- 1.6 How to Get a New York State Police Accident Report
- 1.7 How to Get a Nassau County Police Accident Report
- 1.8 How to Get a Police Accident Report in Suffolk County
- 1.9 How to Get a Police Accident Report from a Village Police Department
- 2 How to Get a Police Report in NYC Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Staten Island & Queens
- 3 If You Were Injured in an Accident, We Can Get the Police Accident Report for You
How to Get a Police Accident Report on Long Island
If you were injured in a motorcycle accident, we can get the police accident report for you. This information is for lawyers and motorcyclists who want to get the police accident report themselves.
The police accident report is form MV-104A. The accident report you fill out yourself is form MV-104. We recommend that you DO NOT fill out your MV-104 accident report. We will do it for you but if you don’t want to hire a lawyer and want to do it yourself, read How to Fill out Your MV-104 Accident Report.
5 ways to get a police accident report:
- Directly from the police department
- Download from LexisNexis Crash Reports
- From your insurance company
- Download from NYS Department of Motor Vehicles
- NYS DOT
What a Police Accident Report MV-104A looks like
How to Read a Police Accident Report
Download form MV-104AC keycode sheet
What’s the difference between a police report and a certified police report?
A certified police report can be used in court. If you need a police accident report for small claims court, you should use a certified police accident report. Lawyers submitting a Motion for Summary Judgment on liability in a car or motorcycle accident case must use a certified police accident report.
Accident reports obtain from a police department or from LexisNexis Crash Reports are NOT certified. If you need a certified copy, you must obtain that from the NYS DMV.
Important: Certified police accident reports downloaded from the NYS DMV usually DO NOT include witness statements. For a complete police accident report, you should obtain it from the the police department.
If a search shows that a police accident report is not on file for your accident date (within the last four years), it means that the police officer checked Unknown/Unable to Determine for the cost of repairs to the vehicle and did not indicate that anyone had an injury. NYS DMV only keeps police accident reports if the cost of repairs to the vehicle was more than $1000 or if there was an injury.
Police accident reports are kept by NYS DMV for only four years. If the accident date is too old to obtain a record at NYS DMV, submit a FOIL request for records at NYS DOT.
See directly below, “How to Download a Certified Police Accident Report From DMV”
How to Download a Certified Police Accident Report From NYS DMV
Information about downloading a certified police accident report at Department of Motor Vehicles. An initial search is free.
Go directly to the form to download a certified police accident report at DMV
A free search will show you the license plate numbers of the vehicles involved in the accident and the number of reports filed by the police and operators of all vehicles. The number in parentheses such as (1) Indicates the number of reports for any of the drivers or police.
For instance, if there was a police accident report and a subsequent amended police accident report, you will see (2).
Once you click on the accident you want, you will have to pay a search fee of $7.00 (to search for the report close). On the next screen, you will select which of the available accident reports you want to download and you will have to pay another fee of $15 per report to download the reports.
For instance, if you want only the police accident report, it will cost $7 to search and $15 to download. If you want the police accident report and the MV-104 of one driver, it will cost $7 to search and $30 to download.
By mail: Use New York DMV form MV-198C [PDF].
See directly above, “What’s the difference between a police report and a certified police report?”
How to Get Older Police Accident Reports
NYS DOT receives police reports after they are received by NYS DMV. While NYS DMV deletes police reports and MV-104 reports after 4 years, the NYS DOT may have police reports after that.
How to Get a New York State Police Accident Report
A New York State Police Accident Report MV-104A must be ordered from the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles.
How to Get a Nassau County Police Accident Report
Download a Nassau County Police accident report from LexisNexis Crash Reports.
You can get a police accident report in person at Nassau County Police Department Headquarters 1490 Franklin Avenue; Mineola, New York 11501 Monday through Thursday during the hours of 8:30 AM to 5 PM.
FOIL requests to the Legal Bureau Nassau County Police Department 1490 Franklin Avenue, Mineola, New York 11501.
How to Get a Police Accident Report in Suffolk County
The quickest way to obtain a police report from the Suffolk County Police Department is to pick it up at Suffolk County Police Department Headquarters 30 Yaphank Avenue, Yaphank, NY 11980.
Reports can be picked up Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 3:45 p.m., 7 to 10 business days from the date of the accident. To find out if the report is available, call (631) 852-6015
Accident reports can be downloaded from LexisNexis Crash Reports.
File a FOIL request online to get a Suffolk County Police accident report.
How to Get a Police Accident Report from a Village Police Department
If you need a report from a village or other local police department on Long Island, you can request it directly from the police department or from LexisNexis Crash Reports or Department of Motor Vehicles (see top of page).
Village Police Departments in Nassau County
- Floral Park Police Department | 1 Floral Blvd, Floral Park, NY 11001 | (516) 326-6400
- Freeport Police Department | 40 N Ocean Ave, Freeport, NY 11520 | (516) 378-0700
- Garden City Police Department | 349 Stewart Ave, Garden City, NY 11530 | (516) 742-9600
- Glen Cove Police Department | 1 Bridge St, Glen Cove, NY 11542 | (516) 676-1000
- Great Neck Estates Police Department | 1 Cedar Dr, Great Neck, NY 11021 | (516) 487-7700
- Hempstead Village Police Department | Village Hall, 99 Nichols Ct, Hempstead, NY 11550 | (516) 483-6200
- Kings Point Police Department · Village Hall, 32 Stepping Stone Ln, Kings Point, NY 11024 · Phone: (516) 482-1000
- Lake Success Police Department |15 Vanderbilt Dr, Lake Success, NY 11020 | (516) 482-4600
- Long Beach Police Department | City Hall, 1 W Chester St, Long Beach, NY 11561 | (516) 431-1800
- Lynbrook Police Department | 1 Columbus Dr, Lynbrook, NY 11563 | (516) 593-0965
- Malverne Police Department · 1 Britton Cir, Malverne, NY 11565 · Phone: (516) 599-3141
- Muttontown Police Department · 1 Raz Tafuro Way, Syosset, NY 11791 · 516.364.3950
- Old Westbury Police Department · 1 Store Hill Rd, Old Westbury, NY 11568 · Phone: (516) 626-0200
- Old Brookville Police Department · 5701 Northern Boulevard. Upper Brookville, New York 11545 ·Phone: 1-516-626-1300
- Port Washington Police Department | 500 Port Washington Blvd, Port Washington, NY 11050 | (516) 883-0500
- Oyster Bay Cove Police Department · Berry Hill Rd, Oyster Bay, NY 11771 · Phone: (516) 922-6363
- Rockville Centre Police Department | 4 Maple Ave, Rockville Centre, NY 11570 | (516) 766-1500
- Sands Point Police Department · 26 Tibbits Ln, Port Washington, NY 11050 · Phone: (516) 883-3100
Village Police Departments in Suffolk County
- Asharoken Police Department | 1 Asharoken Ave, Northport, NY 11768 | (631) 261-7400
- Amityville Police Department | 21 Ireland Pl, Amityville, NY 11701 | (631) 264-0400
- East Hampton Town Police Department · 131 Wainscott NW Rd · (631) 537-7575
- East Hampton Village Police Department · 1 Cedar St East Hampton, NY 11937 · 631-324-0777
- Head of the Harbor Police Department · 500 NY-25A, St James, NY 11780 · Phone: (631) 584-7891
- Lloyd Harbor Police Department · 380 W Neck Rd, Huntington, NY 11743 · Phone: (631) 549-8800
- Nissequogue Police Department · Moriches Rd, St James, NY 11780 · Phone: (631) 584-5302
- Northport Police Department | 224 Main St, Northport, NY 11768 | (631) 261-7500
- Quogue Police Department · 115 Jessup Ave, Quogue, NY 11959 · Phone: (631) 653-4175
- Riverhead Town Police Department | 210 Howell Avenue, Riverhead, NY 11901 | (631) 727-4500
- Sag Harbor Police Department · 70 Division St, Sag Harbor, NY 11963 · Phone: (631) 725-0058
- Southampton Town Police Department · 110 Old Riverhead Road Hampton Bays, NY 11946 · 631-728-5000
- Southampton Village Police Department | 151 Windmill Ln, Southampton, NY 11968 | (631) 283-0056
- Southold Town Police Department | 41405 Route 25, Peconic, NY 11958 | (631) 765-2600
- Village of the Branch Police Department ·
- Westhampton Beach Police Department | 165 Mill Road, Westhampton Beach, NY 11978 | 631-288-3444
How to Get a Police Report in NYC Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Staten Island & Queens
If You Were Injured in an Accident, We Can Get the Police Accident Report for You
Just call us now for a free, no obligation consultation. If you decide you want us to be your lawyers for your accident, we will obtain the police accident report.